Monday, April 29, 2013

Sesame Kale Macro Bowl


I have a little confession to make.  I'm a LOT obsessed with Native Foods!  Everything is so delicious that Matt and I have been known to go twice in a weekend!  And the carrot cake cupcakes are incredibleeeeeeee!!!!!  But my favorite part is how good I feel after eating there!

Part of my passion for cooking comes from having a stomach that makes things that are wonderful (eg. macaroni and cheese or chocolate chip cookies or a super burrito with sour cream and cheese) sound like a bad, bad, very bad day!  When I cook for myself, I get to use ingredients that make me feel maaaaahvelous!  And most things at Native Foods fit that description too (hence the few too many carrot cake cupcakes).

One of my favorite dishes is the Sesame Kale Macro Bowl.  It sounds so... healthy... and it is!  But it's also delicious. I have a love of all things pickled, so  I think the sauerkraut is the key.  I decided to make my own version and got the idea for the tahini sauce here!  Voila!

Ingredients:

1/2 cup brown rice
1/2 cup quinoa
A bunch of kale chopped into bite size pieces
1 clove garlic, microplaned tiny (probably not a real word but you get it, right?)
The same amount of fresh ginger, also microplaned (tiny)
4 tablespoons of Tahini
A splash of apple cider vinegar
Sauerkraut
Tempeh cut up into bite-size pieces
Sesame oil
Soy sauce

Directions:

  • Cook the quinoa/rice according to your usual method. (I do twice as much water as rice and add more if needed while simmering)
  • Steam the kale
  • Cook the tempeh in a bit of soy sauce and sesame oil until browned
  • Mix the ginger, garlic, tahini, vinegar, and some water to thin it out
  • Assemble your bowl!
  • Rice on the bottom, kale on the next layer, sauerkraut next, tempeh, and drizzle your tahini sauce on top!
Easy and yummy. And nice to look at!  Drink it with a nice glass of wine and then, because you've been so very healthy, maaaaaybe some ice cream for dessert :)


No comments:

Post a Comment